I think i´ll give up ... :-(

Christian Marx christian_marx
Sat Apr 19 08:13:33 PDT 2003

Hi,

sorry for this long mail but i don?t know what?s wrong in my environment.
I can?t get a linux based wireless lan to work and i have no idea anymore.

My environment is:

- AMD K6 II 300
- 256MB RAM
- eth0: Intel Ethernet Pro
- eth1: Realtek based adapter
- wlan0: Netgear MA311 PCI wireless adapter

- In the meantime RedHat Linux 9 with
- Kernel 2.4.20-8
- wireless-tools-25-8
- Tested HostAP Versions:
	- latest CVS
	- 0.0.1

There are no probs with making the hostap drivers
(EXTRA_CFLAGS=-DPRISM2_HOSTAPD).
There is also no probs to build the hostapd daemon .

When i load the driver the /var/log/messages logs the messages in
"driver.txt".
When i load the hostapd with "hopstapd /etc/hostapd.conf" i?ll get the
message you?ll see in "hostapd.txt".

 From my notebook i can see the wireless lan with it?s SSID.
The notebook also can access this wireless lan.
I see the authantication traffic between hostapd and the client.

But now there are the problems:

- I don?t get a IP address from the DHCP server, that lists on wlan0.
- If i configure a static IP address on the notebook i can?t do anything
   at all.

I have no idea, i?ve tested the following:

- RedHat 7.3 with kernel 2.4.18-27.7.x
- D-Link DWL 500 PCMCIA Adapter
- Kernelspace modules without "hostapd"
- Custom made Kernel 2.4.20

Maybe anyone got?s a idea or a tip for me, otherwise i think i will give
up my Linux WLAN project an by some hardware access point ... :-(

Thank you

Christian

chmarx at gmx.net
christian_marx at web.de