problem of running WDS with 802.1x

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Wed Apr 16 21:08:39 PDT 2003

On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 09:58:21AM +0800, mario wrote:

> I have tried WDS and 802.1x features of hostap version 0.0.1. They work individually. However, WDS fails when running with 802.1x. When running 1x, APs will generate different keys for their wireless link. It is perfectly okay. However, the problem is each AP will uses its key for the WDS link as well. Since both ends of WDS link use different keys, the WDS link fails.

Yes, that sounds like correct behavior with non-matching default WEP
keys. Although, in this case that is of course not the desired behavior
;-). I haven't tested such configuration, but I would first try enabled
host encrypt and decrypt (prism2_param host_encrypt, host_decrypt) and
then configuring either "no encryption" or if WEP is wanted, the same
_individual_ WEP key for the WDS link. Since I haven't tested this, I'm
not going to say that it works. However, that would be the proper way to
fix the WDS link when using different default WEP keys.