WDS speeds...

Jerry mrcool
Thu Apr 3 11:56:02 PST 2003

Thanks to everyones help, i have 2 Hostaps working, playing with WDS it acually works!!  And even how i expected it to...  My question is about the bandwidth available over a WDS link...
Here is what i have found...

AP-A is connected to the wired network, Command-line ftp to a host local to the net (but on the other side of a router) i get download speeds of 800 to 900Kb/sec...  This is "normal" on this network across the router...

AP-B is WDS linked to AP-A  (not wired to anything) Comand-line ftp to the same host (just one more hop from AP-A to AP-B), i get download speeds of 80 to 100Kb/sec!!!    10% of  the available speed!!! A client computer associated to AP-B gets 60 to 80 Kb/sec, which is believable (and acceptable) compared to AP-B speed, but not, of course, compared to AP-A

Is the speed cut that bad?? is it, perhaps, the cpu on AP-B being an old Pentium 1 (p90) causing the slowdown?  even at half-duplex i would think i would get 400 to 500Kb/sec on AP-B...

Anyone care to comment on this situation, as i dont know where to go from here??!!

THanks everyone for your help and patience and knowledge I appreciate it...

Jerryf