Sequence numbers jumping - question

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Mon Oct 28 15:27:30 PST 2002

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 04:43:33PM -0500, Joshua Wright wrote:

> Is their any reasons the HostAP drivers would skip some of the sequence number values when changing the frequency or ESSID?  It could be my data capture implementation or the Cisco internal channel hopping mechanism that is preventing me from seeing all the frames, but I don't have a way to confirm this.

I would assume that the "missing" sequence numbers were used on some
other frames that were not seen in the capture.

> Can anyone shed some light on how sequence numbers are handled in HostAP?  I didn't see an obvious reference to it in the code - if someone can point me to the right general area instead, that would be good too. :)

They aren't, so no wonder you didn't find any obvious references to
them.. Firmware takes care of assigning seq# for the outgoing frames. I
don't think anything breaks by skipping some sequence numbers, so it
might also be that the firmware happens to skip them when configuration
(like channel or ssid) is changed.