WL200 + HostAP Problem

Kevin R. Porter krp2
Thu Oct 17 16:36:56 PDT 2002

I am successfully using a Compaq WL200 PCI card with Compaq's 0.8.0 firmware
running under a 2.4.19 kernel custom built from Mandrake 9.0 sources,
external pcmcia-cs 3.2.1, and HostAP 2002-10-12 with the following in
/etc/sysconfig/pcmcia:
PCMCIA=yes
PCIC=i82365
PCIC_OPTS="irq_mode=1 pci_csc=0 poll_interval=100"

The kernel was a custom build with PCMCIA turned OFF in the kernel, and a
bunch of stuff deselected because I'd never have any use for the excess code.

Both pcmcia_cs and HostAP were essentially vanilla builds, (I did edit the
HostAP makefile to define the PCMCIA_PATH string, but that's the only edit.)

It does complain a bit about the firmware, but what the hey, I can connect to
it from my laptop just fine...
hostap_cs: index 0x01: Vcc 3.3, irq 18, io 0x0100-0x013f
hostap_cs: Registered netdevice wlan0
prism2_hw_init()
prism2_hw_config: initialized in 9520 iterations
wlan0: NIC: id=0x8002 v1.0.1
wlan0: PRI: id=0x15 v0.3.0
wlan0: STA: id=0x1f v0.8.0
wlan0: defaulting to host-based encryption as a workaround for firmware bug in
Host AP mode WEP
Using data::nullfunc ACK workaround - firmware upgrade recommended

I would be interested to know if anyone's found a way to flash one of these
(Compaq WL200), up to more current firmware than the old 0.8.0 Compaq had.

-Kevin