AP mode with secondary firmware

Pavel Roskin proski
Wed Nov 20 18:57:23 PST 2002

Hello!

> If both of above statements are true, wlan-ng requires the tertiary
> firmware for AP mode, and hostAP requires the secondary firmware for AP
> mode. is it right?

Yes.

Just in case you don't know, every card has secondary firmware.  Tertiary
firmware is not publicly available, but if you can get it, you can
download it into the card, either permanently or until it's power cycled.

In other words, unless you have paid Intersil for tertiary firmware, you
should use HostAP for the access point, otherwise use linux-wlan-ng.

In case you are wondering, OpenAP uses HostAP driver.

If you are going to ask about advantages and disadvantages of HostAP vs.
tertiary firmware, please check the recent archives of the HostAP list -
it was discussed already.

When you make your choice, please only leave the relevant mailing list in
the cc: - I'm not going to answer you if you continue to cross-post.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin