Possible bug in STA f/w 1.5.6

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Fri Nov 15 08:07:31 PST 2002

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 12:29:24PM +0100, Martin Whitlock wrote:

> #1 sees #2 and get thats it is a AP
> I change mode on #2 into Managed mode
> #1 _still_ thinks that #2 is an AP

That is a driver "feature", or a bug, if you wish :-). Once a station is
marked as an AP, it will remain that way indefinitely..

> #2 tries to associate, but #1 prints debug message (AP trying to associate?)
> iwconfig on #2 shows a good signal quality, but macaddress 44:44:44:44:44:44
> When I kick #2's macaddress it associates just fine.

Yes, this is a way of getting rid of that AP flag in the station data.
Real fix would be to change the driver to notice that beacons are not
being received from the AP anymore, and the AP flag could be removed if
an authentication frame is received after this. I'll implement this at
some point.

> QUESTION: Would it be a bad idea to let HostAP driver do a kick_mac on that
> address each time it thinks an AP is trying to associate?

It is not needed with the fix above..