multiple reassociation at HostAP

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Tue Dec 31 17:23:55 PST 2002

On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 06:28:48AM -0800, Mohit bajpai wrote:

> I am using the hostapd driver released on 2002-10-12 for WLAN AP with Linksys WPC11 cards. While moving between two APs it is observed that the number of times reassociation request comes is not constant, sometimes more than one reassociation request comes when we move the STA to new AP area.

Do you mean that the station sends reassociation request multiple times
to the same (new) AP? This could indicate that the previous
reassociation failed for some reason (e.g., timeout in getting
reassociation reply for the request).

> Though the new AP shows that the STA has associated with it , the STA shows the MAC address of the old AP for several seconds before showing the new APs MAC address. Is it ok to have multiple reassociation requests? How can we detect, at the hostap, that the STA is finally associated to it?

IEEE 802.11 specifies that station can have only one association at any
given time, so at least stations should not send reassociation to
multiple APs at the same time. It is OK to authenticate with multiple
APs. From the AP view point, the station has completed association when
it acknowledges the association reply from the AP. 2002-10-12 release
does not check for this ACK frame, but latest CVS version does.