Can not get Hostap into monitor mode under Gentoo

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sun Dec 22 17:55:21 PST 2002

On Mon, Dec 23, 2002 at 12:28:06PM +1300, Bernard Mentink wrote:

> iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor
> Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
>    invalid argument "monitor".

Too old version of wireless tools..

> On observation from the above though, the monitor ioctl expected by the
> tools is (8B06) and by the device (8BE4),
> It seems there is a mis-match there.

That is a different ioctl. 8B06 is "set mode", 8be4 is private ioctl.

> My wireless tools (from gentoo) is version 24, I seem to remember using
> version 25 under YDL.

Yes, this is the problem here. Just do 'emerge rsync; emerge -u
wireless-tools'.. Current Gentoo portage seems to include version 25.