difference between Prism2 and other chipsets for AP features

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Wed Dec 18 20:03:50 PST 2002

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 09:35:36AM +0100, Antonio Vilei wrote:

> what is the difference between Prism2 and other chipset for AP specific
> features?

Prism2 chipset was the first 802.11b chipset (at least for me) that
supported methods for performing part of the 802.11 management
functionality in the host driver (so called Host AP mode) and for which
there was some documentation available to describe how to use this mode.

I would assume that many of the new chipsets would offer something
similar, or better, for host-based operations. Alas, getting
documentation for writing open source drivers for these might prove to
be next to impossible..

> Is it possible to implement a driver such as HostAP (with AP features) for
> other chipsets?

Yes.