Hostap and 802.1X

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Tue Dec 17 21:17:11 PST 2002

On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 05:48:49AM -0800, Nikhil Chauhan wrote:

> Now, I wish to test the authenticator functionality of the Open1x. It seems the
> authenticator doesn't have a proper functioning Key transmit state machine as
> well as the key receive state machine. My questions are based on the above tests:
> 1. Can the HostAP code be used in place of the open1x authenticator? What
>     relation do they have with each other?

Yes, hostapd implements IEEE 802.1x Authenticator, including key
transmit state machine. Apart from implementing same standard, Host AP
code and Open1x do not really have any relation with each other.

> 2. Does the HostAP support the 4-way pairwise key and the group key handshaking
>     thereby installing the keys? If no, is there any other freeware to achieve this?

I'm assuming you are refering to IEEE 802.11i draft with this. I haven't
implemented 4-way handshake yet (or to be more exact, anything from that
draft). hostapd implementation of authenticator is able to install both
unicast and broadcast keys with 802.1x style, but not with method
specified in IEEE 802.11i draft. I'm not aware of any open source
implementation of IEEE 802.11i draft.