Problems with the last CVS version

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sun Dec 8 18:25:45 PST 2002

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 12:46:26AM +0100, Victor Aleo wrote:

> I just have comment out HFA384X_RID_PROMISCUOUSMODE setting in
> hostap_hw.c function prism2_setup_rids(). However, the results are
> pretty much the same or even worse because now I get new "wlan0: RX:
> unknown MACPort #" errors, where # can be 1, 3, 4, or 6 (see a part of
> an experiment below).

Oops.. That was not enough since promiscuous mode was also set in
hostap.c.. I would guess that your card was still in promiscuous mode.

> I think this is a really serious problem due to the stations cannot
> transmit to the AP. Notice that my AP is bridged with an ethernet device
> and I did not have this problem with the version 2002-10-12 of the
> driver. Have you tried the last CVS version with the configuration I
> have: AP bridged with an ethernet device?

Yes, that works fine in my tests.

However, I was able to duplicate FCSErr and unknown MACPort errors with
station firmware version 1.4.9 (running in Managed mode, associated with
another card in Host AP mode). Removing promiscuous mode removed all
these errors. I have now commented out the promiscuous mode setting from
CVS version until these things can be resolved. So, I would suggest that
you would retest with the latest CVS version.

I have also seen another problem when Host AP driver is running as a
client. It seems to be quite easy to get the card into state in which it
does not ACK frames sent to it even though it receives the frames
correctly. This will lead to txexc increasing by one for every TX frame
in the AP and TX rate is reduced to 1 Mbps. I have usally been able to
get the ACKs back by reseting the card (with 'iwpriv wlan0 reset 0' or
sometimes this has required 'iwpriv wlan0 reset 1'). I'm not sure why
this happens, but it will certainly cause poor performance.