deauthentication on setting WEP key

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Wed Dec 4 19:13:21 PST 2002

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 05:38:19PM -0800, Brian Pomerantz wrote:

> Excellent!  It was a simple change.  In case anyone else wants a quick
> link to it:
>
> 	http://hostap.epitest.fi/hostap/2002-09/2056.html
>
> I tried it and it now works, thanks.

There is just one problem with that patch (or Intersil documentation)..
Changed WEP keys should be taken into use only after port0 has been
reseted. I haven't merged this patch into the CVS for this reason since
I haven't had time to test it thorougly.

Anyway, if one is using host decryption and encryption, this port reset
should not be needed (assuming WEP was already set before). I will need
to experiment a bit more with this and make that reset code conditional
at least for station mode.

I think there is a difference in how Cisco AP and hostapd handle new .11
authentications and .1x. If I remember correctly, I decided to start new
.1x authentication only when the station arrives for the first time and
not for the possible re-authentication. But yes, I would agree that it
would be nicer if the station would not start new authentication every
time WEP setup is changed.