Cannot detect hostap based AP

Mudit Goel muditgoel
Sun Dec 1 17:03:41 PST 2002

I am trying to run hostap on a linux based laptop with
a proxim RangeLAN-DS/LAN pc card; but my other windows
based laptop with a 3Com 3CRWE62092A pcmcia card does
not detect the network.

I donot get any errors (that I know of) when I insert
the proxim card. Also an iwconfig wlan0 returns:

wlan0     IEEE 802.11-b  ESSID:"test"
Mode:Master  Frequency:2.422GHz  Access Point:
00:60:B3:67:2E:77
Bit Rate:11Mb/s   Tx-Power:-7 dBm   Sensitivity=1/3
Retry min limit:8   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid
frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed
beacon:0

As far as I know I dont see any problems here either.

Can anyone please tell me how to troubleshoot it?

My hardware configuration for hostap:
My laptop is a toshiba 1555cdc laptop.
I initially installed mandrake 8.1, compiled linux
kernel 2.4.20-pre9 (2.4.19 with patches), compiled and
added pcmcia-cs 3.1.31 outside the kernel and am using
hostap-2002-10-12.

Please let me know if I can provide any additional
information.

Thanks,
Mudit