OT Question on audio downloads from youtube

budge ajebay at errichel.co.uk
Mon Sep 21 17:56:45 EDT 2020

Please forgive the OT question but I am seeking advice on sensible
download format for saving the audio from youtube videos which are
available to supplement specific items from my early music collection.

My preferred solution is to download the audio using youtube-dl and I
know I could then encode the file as a flac file but this creates huge
files, albeit lossless, so my question is, is there any point in doing
this if the initial audio quality is limited by the youtube video
recording system bit rate?  Also, as a more senior citizen, I believe I
am unlikely to be able to hear the difference between the flac and other
options.

I know there are members in this group who have significant knowledge
and experience in these matters and I am hoping for suggestions for the
best format for my purposes.

Budge.