Existing version of Perl.

MacFH - C E Macfarlane - News news at macfh.co.uk
Wed Oct 14 11:46:33 EDT 2020

On 14/10/2020 16:27, David J Taylor wrote:

> I already have ActiveState Perl (v5.16.3) installed and in constant
> use.  Is there a way to prevent the Windows installer overwriting that
> version of Perl, and allowing get-iplayer to use it?

I never use the Windows Installer myself, like you I have a pre-existing
version of Perl.  Most probably, although I haven't actually tried it
with this installer, you can open the installer's archive with a program
such as 7-zip, which is a useful tool to have installed anyway, and
extract the various folders manually, as desired.

My arrangement works for me and is thus:

	C:\Programs\Perl
	C:\Programs\AtomicParsley
	C:\Programs\FFMPEG
	C:\Programs\GetIPlayer
	C:\Programs\RTMPDump*

Then you have to ensure that the directories ...

	C:\Programs\Perl\site\bin;
	C:\Programs\Perl\bin;
	C:\Programs\AtomicParsley;
	C:\Programs\FFMPEG\bin;
	C:\Programs\RTMPDump\bin;*

... are included in your path, and that *.pl files are associated with
being run by Perl.

*These are historical and may not still be required.