v2 - Demise of get_iplayer PPA

Mark Grant m.grant.prg at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 08:34:53 EDT 2020

v2 - Add newly created Raspbian repo information
---

I noticed in the Release Notes for v3.26 the announcement of the demise
of the get_iplayer PPA. I have, for a number of years, been packaging
and publishing my own software for Debian and Ubuntu. So far I have
done the same for get_iplayer on Debian but only for my own
consumption. With the demise of the current PPA, and given that I would
continue to package get_iplayer for myself, I thought it should be
straight forward to extend that activity to a PPA and a Debian /
Raspbian repository.

So, FWIW, my PPA now builds packages for Bionic, Eoan and Focal, and my
Debian and Raspbian repos have packages for Stretch and Buster.

Ubuntu PPA
==========
https://code.launchpad.net/~m-grant-prg/+archive/ubuntu/utils
If you wish to use this then you should remove the old PPA. Then add
the new one:-

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:m-grant-prg/utils
sudo apt-get update

Debian and Raspbian Repos
=========================
On openSUSE BUild Service Debian and Raspbian are grouped together so
the instructions are found in the same place at:-
https://software.opensuse.org//download.html?project=home%3Am-grant-prg&package=get-iplayer
and click on 'Add repository and install manually'.

A Couple of Points To Note
==========================
* This is a packaging-only project, no upstream project file will be
amended.
* Packaging-only issues can be addressed, software issues should be
addressed upstream.
* get_iplayer has substantial functionality. This fuctionality cannot
be tested as part of the package build and publication.
* This is, of course, best effort only.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Regards,
Mark