no more hslv format ?

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Wed May 9 03:49:04 PDT 2018

On 07/05/18 17:00, Ralph Corderoy wrote:

> I too have metered broadband, but have automated use of it begin at
> 00:03 using timeout(1) to ensure it is killed by my 08:00 cut-off time
> if it didn't complete for some reason.  Have you considered something
> similar, perhaps using get_iplayer's `--pvr-queue', etc., to add
> programmes of interest, and then telling it to `run' some or all of the
> queue items?

Hi Jim and Ralph

Are you sure metered broadband is the best deal for you?  What you said
about unlimited overnight use reminded me of a contract I had with
plusnet which was unlimited from midnight to 0800.  Out of curiosity I
tried to find the prices to compare.  It wasn't easy.  Sky won't tell
you unless you have an account, but I did find the archived prices for
plusnet Essentials.

Interestingly for new contracts there are only two metered offers.  They
are both for Sky fibre and are more expensive than unmetered offers.

Although the old metered contracts sound cheap the difference is that it
was necessary to pay separately for the line rental.  According to BT's
website its monthly line rental is now £18.99.  The Post Office is
offering unlimited ADSL2+ for £17/month including line rental so it is
effectively paying you £2/month to take its unlimited broadband.

Those prices suggest it may be a good idea to review your contract.

Best wishes
Richard