Steve Backshall - Nature's Microworlds - 2 Serengeti.mp4, b01l4906

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Fri Apr 6 08:07:57 PDT 2018

On Fri, Apr 06, 2018 at 03:01:11PM +0100, MacFH - C E Macfarlane wrote:

> For many things, that would be true, but for the sort of big Hollywood
> films that I mentioned, I doubt if there can be any doubt who the
> current rights holders are. Apart from anything else, the original
> rights holders are usually in the credits, and thence would be
> comparatively easy to trace through to the present day,

You must have missed the bit where I wrote about the difficulties of
tracing the heirs of the heirs of rights-holders, and of tracking what
exactly they were able to leave to their heirs and what they had sold
outright and to whom.

And actually the original holders are often *not* in the credits. Most
works don't have the several minutes of lists of names that appear at
the end of modern films. And for content that is made for TV the credits
are even today very incomplete.

>                                                          and, after all,
> the BBC must have obtained or be obtaining the media copy that they
> broadcast from somewhere of known provenance, presumably from the rights
> holders themselves, or someone acting on their behalf.

Wherever they're getting them from may not have rights for online
dissemination to the public, which just gets us back to the previous
problem. Broadcast rights and online rights are not the same thing.

--
David Cantrell | Minister for Arbitrary Justice

      Good advice is always certain to be ignored,
      but that's no reason not to give it            -- Agatha Christie