Steve Backshall - Nature's Microworlds - 2 Serengeti.mp4, b01l4906

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Thu Apr 5 02:41:22 PDT 2018

On 04/04/18 23:58, MacFH - C E Macfarlane wrote:
> Please see below ...
>
> On 04/04/2018 22:16, Alan Milewczyk wrote:
>> On 04/04/2018 22:03, I wrote:

>>> It looks as though the best 25fps resolution you can get is hvfxsd,
>>> 960x540.  It is quite common for older programmes only to be
>>> available in HVF and DVF 50fps modes for HD resolutions, and not to
>>> have a hlshd mode.  The same applies to outside broadcasts.
>>
>> Doesn't explain why hlshd was available for episodes 1 and 2 in 2013/4.
>
> Nor that I was able to download Ep 1 in hafhd or hlshd a couple of days
> ago.
>
> Rant, which may be safely ignored:
>
> I do wish the BBC would get their act together, this is by no means the
> first time that this sort of thing has happened  -  others include:

The BBC's policy is set out in
http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2015-07-the-development-of-new-video-factory-profiles-for-bbc-iplayer

(an article I have linked to before).  HLShd does not appear in the
table of Video and Audio profiles because,
"To enable resolution, bit-rate and encoding optimisations to be made to
the new encoding profiles, a test tape of representative content at
varying encoding difficulties was produced by BBC R&D. This test tape
was designed to test the encoder performance, using a range of content
and included clips, from popular shows such as Strictly Come Dancing,
East Enders and Top Gear."

HLShd is only supported as a legacy mode, and only by the Akamai CDN, so
we could lose it altogether.

When I said many outside broadcasts did not have a HLShd mode, I should
have said many red button programmes.  Outside broadcasts which have
been shown on mainstream channels do at present mostly have HLShd modes.

Best wishes
Richard