parser error

Alex al.feersum at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 12:07:42 PDT 2017

I think the real issue is not to fix gIp ('cos it ain't broke), or
break gIp (to introduce a workaround for non-standard data), but to
get the BBC to fix their subtitles.  If the poor subs feed can be
shown to cause issues with iPlayer, then the BBC should fix them (I
can't say that they are obligated to do so, as I don't know - but I
suspect that there are requirements in the charter to ensure
accessibility).

Whilst it is a pain when a broken subs file crashes the pvr scheduler
(it'd be nice if it handled it gracefully and skipped the download),
it's easy to fix it (tell gIp not to download the sub for that
particular item - or manually download that item without subs to enter
it into the download library so that no further automated attempt is
made).

Yes, I know, this is /not/ a viable solution for those who depend on
subs, but as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, the subs can be
downloaded using other methods and parsed separately.

On 27 October 2017 at 19:06, Bernard Peek <bap at shrdlu.com> wrote:

>>> It is then up to the calling script (get_iplayer.pl) to decide what
>>> action to take in response the action taken by the parser.  It is not
>>> adequate just to allow XML::LibXML to display "parser error" and take
>>> no further action.
>>

>> Even though that's what the XML standard says IS the correct action?
>>

> PMFJI
>
> I built data transfer standards for the UK's outdoor advertising industry. I
> deliberately chose to use XML based standards because it enabled automatic
> validation of data files. The standards were quite specific. All automated
> systems were required to refuse any files not compatible with the DTD I had
> on my web server. Data providers were expected to prevalidate any files they
> sent to any other company.
>
> This was my main argument for switching to XML from flat-files.
>

> --
> Bernard Peek
>
>   bap at shrdlu.com

Alex