parser error

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Fri Oct 27 08:31:45 PDT 2017

 On Thu Oct 26 00:51:15 BST 2017, RS wrote:

> I have received an email from someone who told me
> the Suspicion subtitles download fine on his XP installation with v3.01.
> When I use v3.01 I still get the problem.
> He also mentioned that there was something in the v3.01
> release notes about changes to subtitle handling.
> I used --subsfmt=default and the subtitles downloaded without problem.
> I can't do that in v3.05 because --subsfmt has been removed.

 Hi Richard
 This is consistent with what I previously posted:

>> of note is the fact that every GiP version
>> from 3.00 onwards does fail to convert
>> this corrupted subtitles file, but, lo-and-behold,
>> v2.99 does so successfully:

 2.99 was the last to use (by default) the old XML parsing code;
in 3.00 the new "coloured subtitles" feature was implemented,
introducing new XML parsing code:

https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/release300to309#2-subtitles-now-in-colour

>> The subtitles conversion in get_iplayer
>> has been re-implemented using XML::LibXML

 Fall-back to the old code was still kept in both 3.00/3.01
via the --subsfmt=default option.

>> However, that option is deprecated
>> and will be removed in a future release

That was done in 3.02+

https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/release300to309#changes-in-302

>> Removed deprecated options: --subsfmt

 Noticed this in the 3.00 Release Notes:

>> so if you find programmes whose subtitles
>> can't be processed with the new implementation,
>> report them in the forums.

 I suspect it's now too late, since the "new" implementation
has been the only one since 3.02+, but I suspect it wouldn't hurt
to let the maintainer know about this current occurrence...

Best regards,
Vangelis