get_iplayer for Windows 3.07.0 released

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Wed Nov 29 08:38:32 PST 2017

From: Alan Milewczyk
Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 6:12 AM

>Release notes:

>https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/release300to309#release307

>https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer_win32/releases/latest...

Many thanks to dinky for the changes and fixes, and to Alan for drawing
attention to them.

I am sure it's just me being exceptionally stupid, and noone else would make
the same mistake, but I'll mention it just in case.

I have at last got around to making my machines dual boot between Windows 10
and ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS.  I decided to follow the advice to use the
get-iplayer PPA for Ubuntu/Mint.  The commands are

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jon-hedgerows/get-iplayer

sudo apt-get update

In fact I needed to press ENTER part way through the first command, but a
message on the screen told me that so it was no big deal.  The first time I
tried to run get_iplayer I was told that it had not been installed and I
needed to run

sudo apt-get install get-iplayer

Of course I got it wrong and typed install get_iplayer instead of install
get-iplayer, but as I remember it told me it could not find get_iplayer to
install.  Anyway I got it right in the end, and it has worked without
problem for a couple of weeks.

https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/unixpkg
Linux/BSD package installation
says at the foot of the page
Upgrading
The system package manager will handle upgrades to get_iplayer and its
dependencies.

I tried to run the two commands in the PPA installation instructions again,
and they appeared to work.  I had forgotten about the need to run

sudo apt-get install get-iplayer

but this time when I ran get_iplayer I was not told about the need to run
the install command.  Instead it ran v3.06 as before.

Eventually I did remember but I again typed install get_iplayer instead of
install get-iplayer.  This time I got an error message (I can't remember
what it was) but it was not immediately obvious what the problem was.

In the end I did remember I had to type

sudo apt-get install get-iplayer

and all was well.  It now runs v3.07.  I hope this is of some help to anyone
who has made the same mistake, and maybe the documentation can be expanded
to cover it in due course.

Is there any reason Raspbian Stretch/Raspberry Pi has the get_iplayer
Raspbian repo while Ubuntu/Mint has the get-iplayer PPA (further mis-spelt
in the documentation as the get-player PPA)?

Best wishes
Richard