Cache no-refresh and regexes

Howard Orgel Howard.Orgel at orgels.demon.co.uk
Sat May 13 20:37:27 PDT 2017

On Fri, 12 May 2017 22:22:13 +0100, Mark Carroll wrote:

> Is there an antonym for --refresh? I wonder what's the cleanest way to
> tell get_iplayer not to refresh the cache. I thought about trying to
> exclude everything but the manpage doesn't seem to say what /kind/ of
> regex is supported -- maybe it takes Perl-style regexes? I feel like I
> am probably missing the obvious.

Yep!  An antonym for --refresh is --refresh-exclude=<argument>, but you
know this?  I use --refreshexclude .* on the command line to suppress
automatic cache refreshes.  It works very well.  I picked up the idea to
use .* as a catch-all for everything from somewhere else, possibly this
mailing list or somewhere in the GiP documentation.  GiP seems quite happy
to regard the hyphen and equals sign as optional, so I exclude them out of
sheer bl**dy-mindedness!

HTH

--
Regards, Howard.