BBC has added password controls to iPlayer

Andy Wedge andy_wedge at lineone.net
Fri May 12 08:21:16 PDT 2017

> On Behalf Of James Scholes
> Sent: 12 May 2017 11:19
> To: get_iplayer at lists.infradead.org
> Subject: Re: BBC has added password controls to iPlayer

> Also quite likely, though, is that nothing at all will change.  I
can't imagine that
> the BBC will force viewers using the iPlayer through Virgin Media,
Sky, smart
> TVs etc. to log into their accounts - it just wouldn't provide a
smooth user
> experience and presumably if you've signed up for a paid TV service
they
> already have your postcode on file.  We'll all find out soon in any
case.
> --
> James Scholes

I've just tried to play Casualty from the iPlayer site as a test.  I was
asked to register with a DOB, Postcode, Email address and gender
identification so changes have already happened.  The subsequent
playback though was terrible.  I could hear the audio OK but the video
was more a sequence of still images changing every few seconds.  Not
watchable at all.

A.