Re "Issues with Large Files" and "Recent Radio Downloads Not Playing".

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Thu Jan 26 16:35:44 PST 2017

What I had in mind was something like
mp4box -bs-switching no
to force AVC1.  Also whether it is possible to force uniform sample rate to
minimise the size of the staz table.

>By the way, what about this?
>>Create a 30 minute "raw aac" test file with FFmpeg...
>>ffmpeg -f lavfi -i sine=d=1800 -y 1800_testfile.aac
>>Mux it into m4a with mp4creator...
>>mp4creator -create=1800_testfile.aac 1800_testfile.m4a
>>See if it plays OK... with your "£19 AGPtEK player"

I had already tried playing the raw file in VLC.  It played, but I noticed
seeking was slow.  The file with the ADTS container did play in VLC, and
seeking seemed normal.

With -f lavfi I got
Requested output format 'lavfi' is not a suitable output format
tfr1800.aac: Invalid argument

(I had renamed the raw file from .m4a to .aac but I got the same message
when I renamed it back to .m4a)  I used -f adts instead.  The result was not
playable in the AGPtEK player.

I did not understand the -i parameter so I used -t for the duration.

These were the commands
ffmpeg -i tfr.aac -f adts -t 1800 -acodec copy tfr1800.aac
mp4creator -create tfr1800.aac tfr1800.m4a

Without -acodec copy it converted from aac to aac using ffmpeg's built in
codec, which was very slow.  The resultant file with a duration of 1800s
(30min) did play on the AGPtEK player, but durations of 1900s and more did
not play.  That is an improvement on 14min, but I noticed some drop outs not
in the FLAC conversion.  I think I need to stick to FLAC or 320kbit/s MP3
for music and 128kbit/s MP3 for speech.

I still have a lot to learn about the relationship between containers and
content, and why a container can cause a problem for a player, or why AAC is
so much more difficult to decode than MP3 or FLAC.  (The reason I commented
on price was that AAC players generally seem to be a lot more expensive than
MP3 players.)  I have been struck by how astonishingly little non-BBC AAC
material is available for testing.  There is a lot of free MP3 material.  I
do not use iTunes.

Thank you both for your suggestions and comments.