Problem with Radio Downloads

C E Macfarlane c.e.macfarlane at macfh.co.uk
Thu Jan 26 08:32:26 PST 2017

Hi Budge,

I can't comment on the LC profile, but I presume that you've noticed that in
the first sample the durations reported by AP and FFprobe do not agree,
whereas in the second they agree ...

--
www.macfh.co.uk/CEMH.html

[snip]

>     Movie duration: 823.275 seconds (13:43.28) - 320.00* kbp/sec bitrate
[snip]
>     ...Duration: 00:27:50.40, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 321 kb/s
[snip]
>     Movie duration: 1996.800 seconds (33:16.80) - 320.00* kbp/sec bitrate
[snip]
>       Duration: 00:33:16.80, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 321 kb/s

At times in the past I've had troubles with truncated files, where the
download just appears to end suddenly part way through, without any obvious
explanation other than that it usually occurs when I'm having broadband
troubles of some sort or other, or another download is occurring at the same
time, and hogging the tiny amount of bandwidth available to me, which is
easily done, as my download speed is only 1.58Mbps (although I'm retired
now, I've just returned from a day's work on Skye configuring a legacy
customer's WiFi system to use his new FTTP connection of 100Mbps  -  you can
imagine my mixed feelings of triumph and envy on getting everything to work
and measuring a download speed of a little over 94Mbps!)

Since Christmas I've been about a fortnight behind with my listening, but
AFAIAA I've not had such prematurely ended download problems recently, but
nevertheless that looks to me as being the most likely cause of your
problem.  An easy way to spot it would be to compare filesizes of similar
length, similar bitrate programmes, one of which plays and the other does
not  -  if the one that doesn't play is shorter than the one that does, then
that's what went wrong, and you'll just have to redownload it using the two
switches --force --overwrite.