Recent Radio Downloads Not Playing

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Mon Jan 23 08:23:29 PST 2017

I take it this is News Quiz Extra s19e02 b0890f2r.  I downloaded this at
dashhigh1 at 320kbit/s.  It played fine in VLC.  My Panasonic bluray player
only supports MP3 and FLAC, so the only device I have which supports AAC-LC
is a Triax satellite receiver which I feed to my Technics surround sound
amplifier.  On that It played for 26min 10s and then stopped and displayed
"UNSUPPORTED FILE".  I was also unable to jump past that point.

I usually download the MP3 podcast for the News Quiz and play it on my
AGPtEK player (which has problems with BBC M4A/AAC) or in VLC on my
computer, so I can't say what is normal for dashigh, but the sound was mono.

dashhigh will give you 320 kbit/s
dashstd is 128 kbit/s which is adequate for speech
You can also try dashmed 96 kbit/s, but at that bit rate and lower you may
get HE components, which according to the standard should be ignored by any
player which cannot handle them.

The wiki is here.
https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/modesref
An idea which I haven't yet tried is to use the other CDN, dashhigh2.  I see
from the wiki I can also use hafhigh, but I'll need to install v2.97 to do
that.