[OT] TOTPs not offered in HD (720p)

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Tue Jan 3 04:26:09 PST 2017

>From: RS Sent: Monday, January 2, 2017 17:22

>>The 2014 TOTP shows were never made available as 720p
>>encodes on iPlayer; the 2015 ones suddenly became available
>>on the iPlayer site as HD versions on the afternoon of
>>Monday Jan 11th 2016 (i.e. 17 days after the Christmas
>>edition was broadcast...).

>There is a curious variation on what you are complaining about in Darcey
>Bussell My Life on the BBC (b086kfk8).  It was broadcast on BBC4 HD AT 2000
>on 23 December.  An editorial version was created on 27 December, but they
>haven't bothered to re-create any of the HD modes.

TOTP2 Christmas 2015 was rebroadcast on BBC Two HD at 2300 on 19 December
2016.  An editorial version was created at the end of transmission at 0000
20 December 2016.  The editorial version does not include any HD modes.

The Wham special (b00sl2g5) from over 6 years ago was rebroadcast on BBC
Four HD at 2230 on 30 December 2016.  The original version is now on the
iPlayer.  It does not include any HD modes, which is not surprising since it
was originally broadcast before the start of HD.  It does however include
HVF modes, and HVF did not exist 6 years ago.

The Darcey Bussell editorial version coincided with the broadcast of a
repeat.  It may be that removal of HD modes was a term of the repeat, but I
have not noticed it with other programmes.  Another possibility may be that
if it becomes necessary to make an editorial version there are not enough
staff over Christmas to make all the modes.