Updating get_iplayerin Windows

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Wed Feb 15 06:53:05 PST 2017

Are there any notes on how to update the Windows installation of
get_iplayer?  Up to now I have always used the Windows installer.  I think
there used to be an update option, but I have not seen that for some time.
Sometimes a new version of the Perl interpreter or one of the utilities will
be needed, but I assume most of the time I only need to replace
get_iplayer.pl (and get_iplayer.cgi if I want to use the PVR).  Is there
anywhere I can download just those two files?

Earlier in the week I downloaded the Windows installer for v2.99.  It was
16.2Mbyte.  My allegedly 3G (4G is not allowed) connection here seems to
have been throttled to about 40kbit/s.  The first two attempts failed and I
could not resume them, so the download took almost a morning.  I have at
least been able to avoid time-consuming refreshes of the caches thanks to
Howard Orgel's suggestion to set
get_iplayer --prefs-add --expiry 1382400