get_iplayer 2.99

SquarePenguin getiplayer at squarepenguin.co.uk
Sun Feb 12 07:13:26 PST 2017

On 12/02/17 12:46, Shevek wrote:
> On 12 February 2017 at 12:23, cc <chrischery at free.fr> wrote:
>> hi
>> what command line do i have to use to get 1280*720 picture definition with
>> 2.99

You'll need to add the --fps50 flag to you prefs to get the 1280*720
50fps streams using the 'best' shortcut. You could also use the
'hlsbest' shortcut to get 1280*720 25fps streams if you don't want 50fps
streams.

I've explained this below...

> Full documentation of the modes is available here:
>
> https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/modes
>
> and here:
>
> https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/modesref
>
> According to that, you should be getting 1280x720 with --tvmode=best

Actually, this isn't true according to the wiki.

Though the modes wiki page table is technically correct (best kind of
correct) by saying 'max resolution' is 1280*720 for the 25fps streams,
you would need to use one particular mode to get that - namely 'hlshd'.
'hlshd' doesn't appear to be an included mode in any of the
best/better/etc etc shortcuts (it has it's own 'hlsbest'), so you'd need
to add this mode specifically or use the 'hlsbest' shortcut.

The Wiki *is* wrong to say you can get that 'hlshd' provided 720*1280 @
25fps stream just by specifying --tvmode=best so that does need
adjusting. Yes this is confusing!

NOTE - for below best === tvbest

Now, ignoring that quirk for now, let's look at the 'tvbest' shortcut.

The default 'tvbest' shortcut expands to:

hvfxsd,dvfxsd,hlsvhigh,hvfxhigh,dvfxhigh,hlsstd,hlsxstd,hvflow,dvflow

Note that I say 'default' because there are two versions of the tvbest
shortcut now, the default and the one with --fps50 flag enabled.

Taking the default 'tvbest' shortcuts highest available resolution of
'hvfxsd' you can see from the TV Modes table that the max resolution for
that is 960*540 because that's the highest resolution 25fps stream
(ignoring hlshd for now). That's what Chris is getting as of his post to
the list.

Now let's look at the the 'tvbest' shortcut with the --fps50 flag

hvfhd,dvfhd,hvfsd,dvfsd,hvfxsd,dvfxsd,hlsvhigh,hvfxhigh,dvfxhigh,hlsstd,hlsxstd,hvflow,dvflow

Now you can see that the highest quality modes afford you 1280*720
streams, and they'll be at 50fps.

Finally, the 'hlsbest' shortcut expands to:

hlshd,hlsvhigh,hlsstd,hlsxstd

...and that hlshd mode gives you 720*1280 @ 25fps

So, right now the answer to Chris' question as detailed above is to use
the --fps50 flag or use the 'hlsbest' shortcut.

I've started a thread on the forum to see what dinkypumpkin says
regarding hls modes not being included in the 'tvbest' shortcuts and the
need to adjust the wiki depending on the answer:

https://squarepenguin.co.uk/forums/thread-1168.html