Avoiding cache refresh

Howard Orgel Howard.Orgel at orgels.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 3 06:53:19 PST 2017

On Fri, 3 Feb 2017 14:03:21 +0000, RS wrote:

> [...]

Not necessarily for what you want, but read on.

> Thanks to you both for the suggestions.  As far as I remember --pid in the
> first command for 4 hours will cause a refresh of the tv cache,

Bingo!

> which is why
> I asked the question.  It's a bit difficult to test because I have to wait 4
> hours from the last use and then wait another 4 hours if I get it wrong.

Understandable, but easily avoidable.  Increase the cache expiry time -
its default is four hours - by adding an expiry=<secs> statement to your
options file.  I have set mine to sixteen DAYS (1382400 secs), so:

get_iplayer --prefs-add --expiry=1382400

will increase the cache expiry time to sixteen days.  YMMV, so choose
whatever time you want.  The manpage entry referring is:

Config Options:
 --expiry, -e <secs>              Cache expiry in seconds (default 4hrs)

> --refresh-include with just the channel I want to download from may be the answer.

Dunno.  I prefer to use --refresh-exclude=.* to prevent unexpected cache
refreshes if sixteen days have elapsed since my last forced cache refresh.
You can always force a cache refresh manually at any time:

get_iplayer -f --force [type=< >]

Preventing an unexpected cache refresh requires an additional statement in
your options file, as above.

HTH

--
Regards, Howard.