parser error

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Tue Dec 12 06:59:57 PST 2017

Hi Graham,

> ERROR: Failed to load subtitles:
> :7: parser error : Char 0x0 out of allowed range
> It is still a small % but frequent enough to be annoying if you rely
> on subtitles to fully follow the speech.

I haven't tried this, and I'm looking at 3.06 rather than 3.07, but if
you find these lines in your get_iplayer script,

    sub ttml_to_srt {
            my $ttml = shift;

and add after them

            $ttml =~ y/\0//d;

then that will delete any ASCII NUL bytes from the obtained URL before
attempting to parse it as XML.  Hopefully.

But really, report each occurrence to the BBC because they're shipping
invalid XML and they need to find out why they keep doing it and fix the
cause.

(When looking at this, I also noticed a --subsraw option that saves the
URL's content in .../foo.ttxt before attempting to XML-parse it.)

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy