recording quality and vpn

Peter Corlett abuse at mooli.org.uk
Sun Aug 27 08:54:36 PDT 2017

On Sun, Aug 27, 2017 at 02:24:54PM +0100, David Cantrell wrote:
> On 27/08/2017 14:18, cc wrote:
[...]
>> can the use of a vpn limit the number of recording qualities available?
>> Although I managed to get1280.x720 def on 25 aug with - -tvdefault in the
>> command line, it is now proving impossible for the various downloads I have
>> tried.
> Only if the BBC are deliberately breaking it for customers of your VPN
> provider.

The BBC now also appears to use an automagic traffic fingerprinting system that
detects likely VPNs and adds the egress IP address to the "not UK" bucket for a
short while. It takes a moment to kick in, which results in the observed
symptoms of get_iplayer initally appearing to work, and then breaking.

The simple and obvious fix is to drop the VPN when using iPlayer, unless one is
not in the UK in which case the system is working correctly :)