Tidying up Radio Downloads

Budge ajebay at errichel.co.uk
Tue Aug 22 08:45:30 PDT 2017

Hi,

On 22/08/17 16:27, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Martin Powell wrote:
>> I'd go for Audacity, I think its brill!!!
>
> Yes, it's very nice.  But it works by decompressing the .m4a, letting
> you edit it, and then lossy re-encoding if you want a .m4a back.  If the
> OP is happy with a different, lossless, output format, e.g. .flac, then
> they won't lose out.
> http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/MP3#Re-encoding_to_MP3
>
> ffmpeg(1) can skip chunks of encoded .m4a at the beginning, before
> copying the remaining ones to the new file.

Many thanks for the various advice.  I am likely to use both methods and
I have no objection to ending up with flac file as that is what all my
CD rips are.  Hope the files don't grow too much.  In fact some of my
GiP music recordings, once topped, tailed and tagged will go into my
master files along with these rips.  At present all my GiP recordings
are in Radio_Programme directory.

Looks like I have a good bit of reading to do on Audacity!!!

Thanks again, will report back when I have the hang of it.
Alastair.