Quacks - iPlayer release before broadcast

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Mon Aug 21 08:16:36 PDT 2017

>Sent: Monday, August 21, 2017 15:46  I wrote

> A programme does not need to be in the cache to be downloaded. Some
> metadata may not be available, but most of the time get_iplayer can
> retrieve it from other sources.  In this case I can download the episodes
> one at a time using the episode PIDs.  I can download all the episodes
> using the series PID and --pid-recursive.

Perhaps I should have made clear that I am talking about a new feature of
the iPlayer.  Normally a programme or episode is made available in the
iPlayer a few hours after broadcast.  In the case of Quacks, all 6 episodes
are being made available in the iPlayer simultaneously as can be seen on the
programme page
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/p0596d3l
even though most of the episodes have not yet been broadcast.  The captions
for all episodes indicate that they were first shown on  15 August 2017 but
that is only true for the first episode.  At present get_iplayer is treating
the episodes as not being available until broadcast.