New radio PIDs, more than 8 characters

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Sun Aug 13 19:45:57 PDT 2017

 On Sun Aug 13 18:28:42 BST 2017, RS wrote:

> The Al Gore one is now p05c2b9j
> (snip)
> The changes may be temporary.

... Yes and no... If you browse to:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p016tl04/episodes/player

you'll see there exist two distinct entries for
"Former US Vice President Al Gore on Climate Change":
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w172vg029mkl852
(which looks more like the proper episode page) and
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05c2b9j

 I haven't listened to them fully to compare them,
both are listed as being 52min59sec in duration...
The next ("Trump... ") episode of the series is still
only available as a "w" PID. And on

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p029zl67/episodes/player

latest episode is still available as an 8-digit "w" PID :-(

 The crux of the matter is that these "w"-PID progs
are not recordable with the current iteration of GiP,
not even when the progs are indexed inside the
radio.cache and one uses "<index> --get" to fetch!
Haven't seen the figures for UK audiences, but
I'll let you know WSR is very popular overseas!

 On Sun Aug 13 20:54:11 BST 2017, C E Macfarlane wrote:

> > [bpw][a-z0-9]{14}
> (snip)
> Firstly it would have to be ... {8,14},
> otherwise shorter ones would not be picked up.

 Rather "{7,14}", since the minimum character length
of a PID is 8...

> But there is a potential problem with [a-z0-9]
> because it would pick out many normal English words,
> for example, ironically, 'programmes' and 'programming'.

 Again, forgive me for being obtuse, still learning things,
but isn't that scenario assuming one actually inputs

--pid="programming"

into a GiP command? (and in that case, even if the string
is validated as a PID, the playlist.json URL will not
return any vpid for that PID, hence no download...).

Best regards,
Vangelis.