No subject

Paul Thornett pthornett at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 08:13:32 PDT 2017

I am puzzled!

I seem quite often to get very slow download speeds from GIP. Right
now I'm getting 0.5 Mibit/s, although the current download started at
well over 5.5 Mibit/s.

I've recently acquired  BigaSoft Video Downloader, which allows me to
download video streams. So I did as follows:
- get_iplayer "china girl" --streaminfo

This gave me a total of 66 URLs! I then copied the URL of the hlshd1
stream into BigaSoft and pressed the Download button. The 944Mb video
file arrived in around 8 minutes. The GIP download of this same video
was started several minutes before the BigaSoft download, and now,
some 15 minutes after the BigaSoft download completed, GIP reports
that it has completed 22.3% of the download.

I note that GIP is downloading a .ts file while BigaSoft downloaded an
.mp4 file. However the 2 file sizes are quite similar.

Why is there such a difference in speed between the 2 approaches I have used?

Regards,

Paul Thornett