HLS modes being missed by GiP

tellyaddict tellyaddict21 at gmx.co.uk
Fri Apr 21 04:55:49 PDT 2017

> I see the forum thread has now been closed on the grounds that there may be
> use outside the UK.  I did wonder about that from the US date format in the
> bottom right hand corner and the discrepancy in the times.

Well spotted. I didn't even notice that!

> I had not thought about the point that there are no HD modes for local news
> programmes.  The London lunchtime and evening news yesterday only had DVF,
> HVF and Flash modes, but I have no way of knowing whether there used to be
> HLS modes.

HLS streams did used to be available for local news and still are although they now don't show in GiPs results.

> treker68 does not say whether he has just upgraded to v2.99 from
> a much older version, in which case a default he was relying on may have
> changed.
>
> More generally, get_iplayer's messages about modes use the mode names set
> out in
> https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/modesref
> If a user has specified the mode with a shortcut or alias, or has relied on
> a default, I can understand that the mode names in the messages may be
> difficult to relate to the alias.

>From the sound of it, I think treker68 might have specified at some point that he only wants HLS modes downloaded possibly without really understanding what it all means. Otherwise GiP would move through one level at a time until it found one that exists.

> One change I have noticed recently is that there are now two CDNs for HLS
> modes for most programmes.

I can't find any at the moment that have 2 CDNs for HLS modes. Only HVF modes seem to have 2 but I could be missing it. Do you know any specific programmes that do have 2 HLS CDNs?