[Get-iPlayer] Re: BBC iPlayer login will be required from 2017

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Thu Sep 29 10:54:32 PDT 2016

On Thu Sep 29 08:11:31 BST 2016, CJB wrote:

> Most youngsters will not have a license per se
> relying on their respective parents' household licenses.
> And how does this affect their access from various locations
> and post codes as they visit friends, relatives, work locations, etc.?
> If a license code is tied to a postcode and said youngsters
> go travelling even just around the UK with their ubiquitous
> smart phones - like they do in their millions - they
> could all be committing an offence even unwittingly.

 As far as the TV Licence is concerned, I think that scenario
is already covered; visit

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/bbc-iplayer-and-the-tv-licence

and expand

"Am I covered to use BBC iPlayer when I'm on the go or abroad?"

 So, as long as the mobile device runs on battery power,
they are still covered. If they wish to charge the battery
by connecting to the mains or not use the battery at all,
then they should not engage in iPlayer usage
(or first establish the premises is
indeed covered by a valid TVL).

 But of course when on the go, the postcode tied
to your BBC ID no longer has relevance anyway - and
you'll be appearing behind ever changing IP
addresses. But in their revised privacy terms
the BBC admit they also "use device identifiers
(MAC address?) to identify the location of users",
so in theory they could still track and identify
the (user of the) mobile device...

V.