So what does this really mean

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Fri Sep 16 11:16:54 PDT 2016

Unfortunately the Television without Frontiers Directive does not go far
enough.  Even so, as a national broadcaster funded by what is in effect
although not in law a tax, the BBC ought to be upholding the law.  To agree
national copyright licences is an unlawful partitioning of the Single
Market.  Far from promoting the Single Market, the UK broadcasters have been
going in the opposite direction by leasing satellite transponders with
narrower and narrower beams.

I am not convinced by the argument that European copyright licences would be
much more expensive because 38% of the EU population speak English as an
additional language.   People want to watch television in their mother
tongue.  13% of the EU population have English as their mother tongue, the
same as Italian.  For German the figure is 18%.  German broadcasters are
very liberal at making their television channels freely available.  The
Italians make SD RA1, RAI2 and RAI3 available unencrypted.