Get_iplayer is streaming live TV!

Jeremy Nicoll - ml gip jn.ml.gti.91 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Mon Nov 28 08:51:55 PST 2016

On 2016-11-28 16:26, david at harleystreet.net wrote:
> Clearly I have not understood at all.
>
> I thought get_iplayer.cgi was the script which was being accessed by
> unauthorised folk and
> thus being told to do stuff not desired by you.
>
> If so, then protecting where it is located by .htaccess would surely
> have worked?
>
> If it is not get_iplayer.cgi which is being accessed then obviously I
> have completely
> misunderstood.

The OP clearly uses the PVR method of running get_iplayer.  The way that
that
works (I think, based on what I thought I understood when I looked at
the
scripts quite some time ago) is that a perl script runs on the user's
machine,
looking for requests coming in on a certain port.

The browser interface to this works by sending commands to that port
which
passes them to the script, which does the requested actions, and
presumably
also sends results/progress information back to the browser.  The
advantage
of this is that users who don't want to know about the CLI version of
g_ip
can use a browser-based front-end to the whole thing.

There's no separate server involved, except in the sense that the perl
script
running on the user's own machine, is waiting for incoming requests on
the port ...
which is the same thing that a real web server does - waits for page
requests and
then sends them to the requester.

In this case, it seems that rather than the OP's browser sending
requests to
the script, on his own machine, someone outside the machine is sending
requests
to that script.

> It seems from what you say that it is not get_iplayer.cgi which you
> are trying to protect, but
> a port on the server.

If they're outside his machine then the incoming requests are either
from other
machines on his LAN, or outside his LAN in which case they could be
stopped with
firewall rules at the entry to the LAN.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own