Get_iplayer is streaming live TV!

Nick get_iplayer at i.lucanops.net
Mon Nov 28 06:01:31 PST 2016

On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 12:40:58 +0000
<d.lake at surrey.ac.uk> wrote:

> I suspect the aim is to stream BBC TV programmes from outside the
> UK...
>
> I run my get_iplayer server on a VPS using a VERY unusual port
> number.   I had assumed that would be good enough, but it wasn't.
>
> Because I spend a lot of my time travelling, all my music and radio
> downloads are stored on a cloud VPS server.   I can't really block
> down by IP address because I don't really know where I'll be
> connecting from.
>
> I'll have a hack round the get_iplayer.cgi and see if I can add some
> sort of basic password.

Are you running the cgi as root? Your other emails had paths that
were very rooty. If so, that is asking for problems. Someone just
using your cgi to just pirate some TV programmes might be a lucky
escape.

I recommend SSH for getting arbitrary services across the internet
securely. Have it listening on port 443 and you can get to it from
anywhere, even through restrictive firewalls.

A command like:

ssh -L 8080:127.0.0.1:8080 -p 443 user at host

The above would tunnel port 8080 on your machine to 127.0.0.1:8080 at
the server end. So if you have gip cgi running on the server, listening
only on 127.0.0.1 and port 8080, you can bring that port to your
local computer over SSH. On the local computer (where you are running
the ssh client) you would also connect to http://127.0.0.1:8080

If you really want to run gip as root, like this you can still ssh in as
an unprivileged user.

Nick