Bug in Windows PVR?

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Tue Nov 15 11:02:10 PST 2016

On Tue Nov 15 16:48:18 GMT 2016, CJB wrote:

> I'm using GiP v2.94 - at present I have no need to upgrade

Hi Chris - staying in a previous version (actually 3
versions before the current one) is, of course, your
prerogative, but you shouldn't, in all honesty,
seek support for such a version - only the latest one
is supported in the Support Forums and the wiki.

I haven't used 2.94 myself for quite a while (though
I may need to revert to it for some (international)
video files currectly affected by a bug present in 2.95+).

I had to unearth a previous revision of the wiki
applicable to v.2.94, which is

https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/modes/399702875c33522050918b64e204c2c0995b5348

> Whilst the default for t.v. downloads is 'best'

No it is not; the default in 2.94 was "better";
this resolves in the flashbetter=flashvhigh
tvmode, 832 x 468p, 25fps, ca. 1500kbps.

If you wanted the HD variant, you had to ask for
--tvmode=flashbest (flashhd), which yielded

1280 x 720p, 25fps, ca. 2400kbps.

> for HD quality my computer cannot play these smoothly.

The default in 2.94 is flashvhigh, which is SD (468p).
Which type of files can't your machine handle smoothly,
flashvhigh (the default) or flashhd?

> So for t.v. progs I manually set the Recording Mode to 'good'

... and that would limit you to "flashhigh,flashstd"
as correctly stated by GiP 2.94:

> INFO: flashhigh1,flashhigh2,flashstd1,flashstd2 modes will be tried
> for version default

> the download is reported as being flashhigh1,
> even though flashstd1 is actually used.

Wrong again;

> bitrate=797.5kbits/s

indicates the flashhigh variant has been indeed downloaded.
Flashhigh and flashstd share the same resolution (640x360),
but the former has bitrate ~ 800kbps while the latter
has only ~ 500kbps.

> Is this 'bug' perpetuated in later versions?

Not a bug whatsoever - see above!

Regards