Offtopic noise: Re: BBC iPlayer viewers now need a...

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Mon May 23 06:08:36 PDT 2016

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 07:32:44PM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:

> However... it seems that this list is mostly used these days for
> offtopic crap, and for technical queries which get referred to the
> forums.

People need to learn that mailing lists *always* have some off-topic
content, partly because topics drift, partly because people have
different notions of what, precisely, is on-topic, and partly because
people are lazy and/or arseholes. The amount of traffic on this list is
so low that what off-topic stuff we get just doesn't matter. Learn to
ignore it if you don't care about it, just like I ignore anything about
Windows.

> Is there still a benefit to having this list at all? Would we be better
> off shutting it down entirely?

Yes. No. Better to shut down the forums, as mailing lists are always a
better way of communicating than web forums are.

--
David Cantrell | Bourgeois reactionary pig

    There are many different types of sausages.  The best are
    from the north of England.  The wurst are from Germany.
      -- seen in alt.2eggs...