Offtopic noise: Re: BBC iPlayer viewers now need a...

Simon Ward simon+infradead at bleah.co.uk
Wed May 18 14:07:07 PDT 2016

If you don't read below the top part of the message you might not see what I have written below, but that's where my replies are nonetheless. If you can't see them because your MUA does not let you see them I sugest you get it fixed or find one that is less broken.

On 18 May 2016 20:20:05 BST, Dennis Smith <m1dlguk at gmail.com> wrote:
>How about, we don't bring the list down to the level of a Fox/Sky
>broadcast?

By posting without proper quotation and with disregard to the list guidelines that have already been referenced I feel this is precisely what you are doing.

>As the thread has been mangled (it was one thread but people changed
>the subject line fudging threaded view), I cannot find the original
>comment without taxing my sore brain right now.

If your MUA is breaking threads because of changed Subject headers this is a problem with your MUA. Threads are created using the References and In-Reply-To headers, not Subject. Broken threads may also be caused by broken MUAs not correctly setting the References and In-Reply-To headers.

Please get your broken MUA fixed or find one that isn't broken, and stop trying to cripple everyone else's email experience to suit your crippled MUA.

>However I wanted to
>elaborate on my comment about not reading the messages below the top
>part. To clarify, in received messages the old parts of the message
>are filtered out and only the new part of the message is visible, if
>you put your comment in the middle of the message, it's not shown to
>me.

This is a problem with your MUA. If it filters the old parts of the message without even giving you the option of showing them it is removing the ability to quote relevant parts. Google Mail hides (collapses) quoted text blocks but at least gives the option of expanding them.

I currently use five different MUAs: Kaiten Mail (based on K-9 Mail), Mozilla Thunderbird, Gmail (web interface), Evolution, and Mutt. I have also used, that I can remember, K-9 Mail, Gmail (Android), Pine, Sylpheed Claws/Claws Mail, Eudora, Yahoo! (old interface), Outlook (2000?), and Netscape/Mozilla before Thunderbird and Firefox became things. I don't recall having any trouble with properly quoted messages with any of these. It really sounds like your MUA is in the minority.

>I have about 30 messages that are largely a pile of nonsense mush
>without context or meaning, that in order to read the full message
>including original content I have to open each one separately.

This is backwards. The context is provided by quoting text then adding your reply below the quoted text. The whole message followed by whole reply (or whole reply followed by whole message in the case of top-posting) only really works for small messages. Email is not SMS or instant messaging. There are often many points made in one email, each soliciting a response, which naturally leads to an interposed quote-reply format.

>Also I am subscribed to about 80 different groups with daily emails (I
>receive well over a 1000 emails a day as a result) and I have no
>trouble with any of them except the 2 lists that insist on interposed
>or bottom posting.

Is this a competition? You win on the number of mailing lists (I currently subscribe to about 65), but your experience is totally opposite to mine: I am on one list where top-posting is the norm (two if we're counting private lists, in which case I'm on ~70-75 lists overall), but don't think I've seen anyone complain about interposed quotes and replies before you. Some lists are announce only, so the quoting method doesn't apply. The remainder all favour what you call interposed posting.

Regards,
Simon Ward