get_iplayer for RTE?

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Sat Mar 19 07:55:12 PDT 2016

(Off Topic content follows; if your time is very precious,
please disregard and move along...)

On Fri Mar 18 14:59:52 GMT 2016, CJB wrote:

> I think that they have tightened up on downloads.
> Actually I am trying to get this programme:
> http://www.rte.ie/lyricfm/the-lyric-feature/programmes/2015/0814/721376-the-lyric-feature-friday-14-august-2015/?clipid=1952784

 They did change some things since
my last tutorial from February 2015...

 One thing they have surely overhauled is
their anti-adblock detection mechanism!
I couldn't get anything to play on the radio
version of RTEplayer on Firefox:

> It seems that your computer is running ad blocking software.
> In order to listen to content on RTE Player,
> please disable your ad blocker for www.rte.ie.
> For more information, please see our FAQs.

While I am indeed using "uBlock Origin" as a
firefox extension, that message persisted even
after disabling it!

While trying other browsers in my system,
without a form of adblock, I found myself
in a position where no browser would play
RTE radio content!

At first I thought they are now also
geo-blocking radio, but a test on
sister's Win7 laptop in the same LAN
revealed my assumption was false...

 It took me an hour to finally realise that
RTE player (on every browser in this
machine) objected to my customised
"hosts" file, which was sitting there for
at least 3 years and actually had forgotten
about its modification!

Restoring the original hosts file,
followed by a reboot, "fixed"
my RTE radio player issue...

With regards to the download guide,
the "vpid" string is now in plain form,
no "decoding" is needed:
http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=b16_10452550_2412_14-08-2015_
=> vpid=10452550

The mediaselector URL
http://www.rte.ie/rteavgen/getplaylist/?type=web&format=jsonp&id=10452550

reveals they have also added AdobeHDS
strteams to the RTMP & AppleHLS ones,
though RTMP is still the default on Firefox.

I see Chris you are still using the rtmpdump
command to fetch; better use the latest Flash
player version string, i.e. -f "WIN 21,0,0,182"
And they have updated their SWF player to:
-W http://www.rte.ie/static/radio/radioplayer/osmf2_2015_03_12.swf

> Unfortunately this has stopped working:
>
> rtmpdump -r "rtmpe://fmsod.rte.ie:1935/"

and

> it seems that Pret's free wifi
> does not allow downloading

Many "free" wifi spots have the default RTMP
port (i.e. 1935) blocked - I bet you two pence
that had you changed the port in your command
to either 443 or 80, your rtmpdump command
would've worked:

rtmpdump -r "rtmpe://fmsod.rte.ie:80/" (etc.)

Plus, there's always the AppleHLS stream,
over plain HTTP. While recording the AppleHLS
stream with FFmpeg is much slower to rtmpdump
fetching, composing the ffmpeg command is a
much more straightforward thing and it should
work in every type of network:

ffmpeg -loglevel 8 -stats -i
"http://cdn.rasset.ie/manifest/audio/2015/0814/20150814_rtelyricfm-thelyricfeature-thelyricfe_cl10452550_10455405_261_/manifest.m3u8"
 -vn -c:a copy
"20150814_rtelyricfm-thelyricfeature-thelyricfe_cl10452550_10455405_261_.ts"

Remux to MP4 container:

ffmpeg -i "foo.ts" -vn -c:a copy -bsf:a aac_adtstoasc "foo.m4a"

Regards,
Vangelis.