hlshd download speeds

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Mon Jul 11 19:08:37 PDT 2016

On Mon Jul 11 17:52:25 BST 2016, RS wrote:

> The timestamp of the dev version I am referring to
> is 14 Feb 2016 at 2305.

 Hello Richard

 Is the timestamp you quote an attribute of the
downloaded 2.95-dev perl script file?
If, in fact, you did download at that place in time
the then most up-to-date version of the dev script

(https://raw.github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/develop/get_iplayer)

it just so happens that three different commits
were pushed to the develop branch of the repo
on that specific day:

https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/commits/develop/get_iplayer?page=2

=> Commits on Feb 14, 2016: g673793a, g3a440b2, g611370c.

The earliest of those was:

https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/commit/673793a

with commit name: "HLS is now default format for all programme types"
As you can read in the detailed commit description:

> Currently, the built-in HLS/DASH streamer
> is used for all programme types.

The pure Perl HLS downloader was used by
default to dump AppleHLS streams long before
said dev-snapshot g673793a; to be exact, it was
implemented on Oct 12, 2015, via commit g0d5c99c:

https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/commit/0d5c99c

so your assumption inside this thread that your
2.95-dev snapshot was using ffmpeg to fetch hlshd
is at fault; please read further down:

> The Perl includes this
> (snip)
> if ( $opt->{hlsffmpeg} ) {
> main::logger "\nWARNING: --hls-ffmpeg specified and required
> ffmpeg/avconv does not exist - cannot download HLS audio/video\n";
> (snip)
> which suggests it is using ffmpeg to download HLS.

No! It does not suggest that!
As explained, the built-in HLS downloader
is used by default - what that piece of perl
code (# require ffmpeg for HLS) does is
check for the existence of  ffmpeg/avconv
WHEN THE "--hls-ffmpeg" SWITCH IS
EXPLICITLY DEFINED BY THE USER;
from longhelp:

--hls-ffmpeg : Use ffmpeg/avconv instead of built-in HLS downloader.

So, unless you had that switch permanently
in your user options or issued it in every
download command, FFmpeg WASN'T USED
TO RECORD HLSHD tvmode.

Unless --raw is employed in your commands,
FFmpeg IS ALWAYS USED IN THE FINAL
REMUXING STAGE, to place the downloaded
mpeg-ts (.ts) file inside the MP4 container,
so it can be tagged by AtomicParsley...

Hope it's clear to everyone, now :-)

Regards,
Vangelis.