[ANN] get_iplayer 2.95 released

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Sun Jul 3 14:35:07 PDT 2016

On Sun Jul 3 20:03:58 BST 2016, Owen Smith wrote:

> Another piece of software dropping Vista support
> almost a year before the end of official Microsoft support, sigh.

 Hello Owen et. al.

 I do not want to contribute needlessly to a thread
that can pretty soon go seriously OT, but as a Vista
co-user (Home Premiun SP2 x86 fully updated) I, too,
fill miffed that software authors are placing Vista
in the same fate to XP, if not worse...

 MS ends Extended Support for Vista in April 2017,
so we're not quite there, yet; though they are making it
quite hard for current Vista users to receive and
apply latest Microsoft Updates (search the web,
it's all over the place). And Vista, unlike Win7,
isn't eligible for the free Win10 upgrade, which
will expire on July 29th (2016) anyway...

 IE9 is now (/will soon be) unsupported on many
sites, and my most serious concern currently is
Chromium dropping Vista support prematurely;
this means that Google Chrome and other chromium-based
browsers don't function in their updated versions
on Vista anymore; this leaves Mozilla Firefox,
but for how long?

> Well I haven't used get_iplayer for several months,
> this probably means I never will.

 To be fair to dinkypumpkin,

>> As far as is known, get_iplayer,
>> its dependencies and the Windows installer
>> still work on XP and Vista

you can TRY NOW to upgrade to and use GiP 2.95
because I CAN, TOO, ASSURE YOU it
currently works fine on Vista  - Strawberry perl
package has been upgraded to "5.24.0.1-32bits",
FFmpeg to v3.0, rtmpdump to
"RTMPDump v2.4-102-ga3a600d-get_iplayer",
all the above work flawlessly on Vista - so you
shouldn't be over-dramatic :-)

 We do not know when things willl again
completely break for GiP - the coder has
stated he'll be removing soon support for
RTMP streams, even before the beeb do
(I have my objections to that, but little
does that count) - this'll put rtmpdump
out of the equasion, too - and FFmpeg
is delegated now (in 2.95) to simply remuxing
to the MP4 container (by default); I'm
sure a Vista compatible (archived?) FFmpeg
version will continue to do the job nicely...

 The worst case scenario would be the
need for the coder to write perl code
that depends on perl modules/binaries
compiled without Vista support
(I fear the StrawberryPerl site won't offer
Vista compatible binaries once Vista
loses MS support...).

But who really knows the fate of GiP in
the (near) future? Recent decisions made
by the UK politicians to be enforced at
the start of next year may "break" it for
all OSes, Windows or not...

On Sun Jul 3 20:48:53 BST 2016, Owen Smith wrote:

> I use Vista at home and Win 7 at work
> and I have to say there's not a lot of difference between the two.
> Drivers are freely interchangeable, most desktop features
> are very similar, the underlying kernel is only mildly different.

I also have access to sister's Win7 (64bit) laptop,
so I have to echo completely what said there by Owen!
 Apart from some things (some major, most minor) under the hood,
Vista SP2 itself is a fine OS that I personally
prefer to Win7+; from a safety standpoint,
having a very low marketshare, it is not very
appealing for exploitation by malicious code
authors and if you take all the needed standard
precautions (MS OS updates, software updates,
antivirus/antimalware updates, "sane" internet
behaviour), then I suspect you're not at a
larger risk than other Win OSes...

> I may either stick with Vista forever
> or upgrade to Win 7 and stick with that forever.

I fear "forever" doesn't apply nicely in this case...

== End of OT discussion ==

Kind regards,
Vangelis.