get_iplayer currently broken...

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Sun Jan 17 07:38:24 PST 2016

On Sat Jan 16 03:32:29 GMT 2016, Alan Milewczyk wrote:

> Sorry for the delay in responding...
> (snip)
> I should clarify what I did to provoke
> my "error message" posting.

 Many thanks for your follow-up reply;
it most certainly cleared up things for me,
my sanity now restored :-)

> so I drilled to the "ffmpeg" and then the
> "ffmpeg-1.2-win32-static" folders and tried again,
> forgetting that in fact the executable was
> in the "bin" sub-folder!

... So d4x's guess was spot on!
But it would appear you are still on an
older version of FFmpeg for Windows.
As stated in d4x's post (BTW, many thanks
for your kind words... ) and as is apparent
in the latest GiP configuration file:

http://www.infradead.org/get_iplayer_win/get_iplayer_config_latest.ini

had you upgraded to GiP 2.94 via the Windows
installer, you should have been on version
2.2.3 by now, not 1.2!
(the last version of the config file
to install ffmpeg-1.2 was dated 03/01/2014:
http://www.infradead.org/get_iplayer_win/get_iplayer_config_20140103.ini )
Of course you could've updated manually
the binary inside "bin" subfolder,
in which case please disregard...

 If everything still functions OK with ffmpeg 1.2,
then I guess you can still stay with that...
If you choose to upgrade to 2.2.3,
then simply rerun the windows installer
and opt to update only ffmpeg from the settings...

Additional info:
Next release of GiP (2.95) will by default
use a pure Perl HLS downloader, doing away with the
need for ffmpeg for that - however, a new switch called "--hls-ffmpeg"
has been introduced to allow for a fallback to using FFmpeg
for dumping HLS streams - the ffmpeg version required
for compatibility with the "new" Video Factory HLS streams
is >=2.5 ; despite the native Perl HLS downloader,
FFmpeg is still required if you want to end up with
m4a (for audio) or mp4 (for video) files...

*************************************
OT discussion:

> It's the heat and this blasted cold/cough folks!

"Funny" the antithesis in that sentence, Alan!
One would migrate to hotter climates during the winter
to escape the cold weather back home,
only to be pestered by "cold" there, too!
Be careful of highly conditioned closed
premises and of drinking very cold/iced drinks!

> Hope you feel better soon, dear friend

 I feel priviledged being regarded as your friend;
your wishes and recommendations for speedy
recovery are wholeheartedly reciprocated :-) !